The government has announced a support package for Ghanaians being evacuated from South Africa amid ongoing xenophobic attacks targeting foreign African nationals.
In a public notice issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, authorities assured affected citizens that arrangements had been made to support their safe return and smooth reintegration into Ghanaian society.
According to the Ministry, all evacuees returning from South Africa will benefit from a range of assistance measures aimed at helping them rebuild their lives after the crisis.
As part of the immediate relief package, returnees will receive a “Welcome Home Financial Package” to ease their transition upon arrival.
The government also said transportation support would be provided to help evacuees travel to their respective destinations across the country.
In addition, a reintegration allowance will be made available to assist affected persons as they settle back into life in Ghana after leaving South Africa under difficult circumstances.
Recognising the emotional and psychological impact of the attacks, the Ministry indicated that free psychosocial support services would also be offered to returnees.
Authorities further revealed that evacuees would be enrolled in a special database intended to connect them with employment opportunities and startup support programmes.
The Ministry described the intervention as part of government’s broader commitment to protecting the welfare of Ghanaians living abroad and providing assistance during times of crisis.
“We value and cherish all our citizens,” the statement said.
Meanwhile, the first group of 300 Ghanaians living in South Africa is expected to be evacuated on Thursday, May 21, aboard a specially chartered flight arranged by the government.
