Ebola Outbreak Worsens: WHO to Hold Emergency Meeting as Deaths Hit 131

A panel of experts led by the World Health Organization (WHO) is set to meet to review vaccine options in response to a growing Ebola outbreak in central Africa.

Health officials in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) say the death toll from the outbreak has risen to an estimated 131, out of 513 suspected cases, according to Health Minister Samuel Roger Kamba. This marks an increase from earlier figures of 91 deaths out of 350 suspected infections.

The WHO has already declared the situation a public health emergency of international concern, citing the rapid spread and severity of the outbreak, which has also reached neighbouring Uganda.

Speaking to the World Health Assembly in Geneva, WHO Director-General Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said he remained “deeply concerned about the scale and speed of the epidemic.” He confirmed that the declaration of an international health emergency covering both the DRC and Uganda was made earlier in the week.

The WHO’s Emergency Committee, made up of international health experts who advise on outbreak response measures, is scheduled to meet later on Tuesday to assess the situation and discuss next steps, including potential vaccine strategies.

Health authorities say the outbreak is linked to the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola, a particularly severe variant for which no approved vaccine or specific treatment currently exists. The strain has historically recorded a fatality rate of up to 50 percent.

Although the widely used Ervebo vaccine, developed by Merck, is approved for the Zaire strain of Ebola, limited studies suggest it may offer partial protection against the Bundibugyo strain.

Dr. Mosoka Fallah of the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention said experts will rely on available scientific evidence to guide the response. “When you have an outbreak with a strain that does not have countermeasures, we are going to advise on the best approach to take,” he noted.

Meanwhile, the WHO says it is scaling up emergency support, with supplies already being deployed to affected areas. Anne Ancia, WHO Representative in Ituri province, said 12 tons of medical supplies have already been delivered, with an additional six tons expected, including personal protective equipment for frontline health workers.

The outbreak, which began in the northeastern province of Ituri near the borders with Uganda and South Sudan, has been complicated by frequent cross-border movement linked to the region’s mining activity. Cases have now been reported in neighbouring provinces, some as far as 200 kilometres from the epicentre, and across international borders.

In related developments, Germany has confirmed it is preparing to receive and treat a United States citizen who contracted Ebola while working in the DRC, following a request from US authorities. The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said the individual tested positive late Sunday after workplace-related exposure.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *